wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009


I started off with a fairly good nights sleep but soon got woken by the wound leaking, so I had another dressing. Unfortunately I hadn't brought many clothes into the hospital as I didn't know what to expect and that I would be getting in a bit of a mess! In the end I had to start wearing the hospital gown which was better than keep spoiling my clothes but someone pointed out that I looked like a dinner lady!!

Following the start of the IV antibiotics by stomach has gone mad (if you know what I mean). It's horrible.

The wound leaked again at lunchtime, so another dressing change. The doctors have also changed my medication slightly as I was complaining that my back was beginning to hurt more. I thought maybe from lying in the bed the majority of the day. They've upped the Tramadol at night.

During the afternoon and evening I started having funny visions and slurring my words. I was seeing images in front of me that actually weren't there. A balloon had been left from a previous patient and I kept seeing things on it when it was a plain balloon. Something obviously wasn't right. I tried sending people txt messages and it was a nightmare. If I did manage to send one, it was either one word because somehow I'd lost the rest of it or I was sending out old messages. I was all over the place and couldn't understand it. I'd had quite a few visitors and I think they must have thought I was going mad (or maybe it's just normal for me!!).


Post a Comment

<< Home