wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Admitted to Adelaide Ward

I rang up the RBH this morning and a bed is available. I decided to email the Leonardis before going in just to let them know what was going on. Christine rang me from the Leonardis to check that I was okay and she said that Dr Draczynski would be in touch to chat over what is going on at the moment.

Went in around midday and was booked in by a doctor and a nurse. I had a bed by a window so it was nice and bright. Such a difference to the old Adelaide Ward. The doctor took a look at the boils and said that they would start me on IV antibiotics straightaway and that a surgeon would probably come and see me later on to discuss the surgery tomorrow. They said that I would have to have a general aneasthetic so it was going to be nil by mouth from midnight. No midnight feasts for me then!! Actually, appetite completely out the window anyway.

Around 6pm a surgeon came to see me and check over the boils. He felt he didn't want to make the decision himself as to whether I should be taken down for surgery tomorrow morning or attempt to withdraw the fluid using a needle and syringe as they did on Friday in Ultrasound. He decided to call upon his senior colleague who would be doing the minor operation. They came back an hour or so later and decided to do it all at my bedside. No anaesthetic!! Well, as I said on Friday, it is very numb in my armpit so I said I'd let them try.

They managed to get more of the fluid out using the needle aspiration method but not very much so with my permission they asked if they could cut the hole open more with scissors where the needle went in. I just said carry on as it still wasn't really hurting and they did say that this would save me having the aneasthetic which was a positive move (I know I'm always sick with anaesthetics so I was quite relieved). A closed pair of scissors were put in the hole and twisted around to make the hole bigger and then the fluid just started gushing out. There was loads of it. Chocolate milkshake coloured. It was still fairly painless at this point. It did start getting a little more painful when the surgeon was putting pressure from left to right of the armpit to encourage as much of the fluid/pus to come out. As there were two boils (one either side of the armpit) it does look like they were connected as all the fluid came out of the first incision.

The surgeons then packed the deep hole with some kind of seaweed gauze (which helps the healing process), covered it with more gauze and then a massive plaster. Job done. Unfortunately they did say that it could take 6-8 weeks to heal! NOOOO!!! What about my swimming and showering. Pain in the you know what!!


Post a Comment

<< Home