wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Friday, June 05, 2009

At my Wits End

Having seen Dr George twice this week about the lumps/boils under my armpit and her attempts to communicate/speak with Dr Barrett's secretary, I made one more attempt to speak with Dr B's secretary myself this morning and again had to leave a voicemail message, so under my own initiative I went up to the Berkshire Cancer Unit at midday and asked to see someone about my lumps. Luckily as it was the end of clinic it wasn't very busy and I managed to see a new Consultant called Dr Fong. He was really nice, chatted about my history and then examined the lumps. He firstly decided to change the antibiotics I was on and gave me a card to send me for an ultrasound to see what was going on. Then he asked Barbara Gray (the clinical nurse in clinic) to contact Dr B's secretary to get me seen in Dr B's clinic on Monday.

Amazingly, Dr B's secretary answers her internal phone calls! When asked if I could be added to the end of the list she said that it was already full and that this wasn't possible. At this point Dr Fong piped up that this woman must be seen on Monday and that if there was any problems with adding me to the end of the list then he would speak with Dr Barrett. Yippee. At last, some action. I was happy with that because my next clinic appointment with Dr B was on Monday 15th and I didn't want to wait another week before my armpit was thoroughly looked at.

I went off to the ultrasound dept and was lucky to be seen within an hour (everything just seemed to go perfectly once Dr Fong had got involved). The radiologist said she could see a lot of fluid and decided to try and draw some off with a needle and syringe. It didn't hurt when the needle went in because the area is already numb. Unfortunately the fluid was very thick and so the radiologist only managed withdraw 15ml. It looked like chocolate milkshake! She said the images would be sent off to Dr Barrett and she would be able to discuss more with me on Monday.

When I got home there was a message on my ansaphone from Dr B's secretary saying that she had received the fax and two voicemail messages from my GP, Dr George and my voicemail message this morning. She went on to say that Dr Barrett felt it wasn't necessary to move my appointment forward and would see me on the 15th!! Unbelievable. Luckily this has been superceded by Dr Fong's request but what am I supposed to do to be seen and get some action. Today has only happened because I went up to the cancer clinic.


Post a Comment

<< Home