wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, June 08, 2009

Finally have an appointment with Dr Barrett

Saw Dr Barrett this afternoon and was finally able to show her the boils under my armpit. She initially said that she wanted me to continue on the antibiotics (which I had been taking for the last 10 days and hadn't really done anything) and she would like to see me on Wednesday before making a decision on whether to admit me and start me on IV antibiotics before considering surgery if the antibiotics hadn't done anything. I started feeling quite dizzy and sick at this point and had to sit down. Steve said that I hadn't been feeling well for weeks and was very lethargic and tired. Dr Barrett said that I could be admitted today but if a bed wasn't available on Adelaide ward, I would have to wait in the CDU unit (clinical decision unit) or I could go home and wait for a bed to be available, hopefully tomorrow. This was the better option. Dr Barrett felt that it could either be an infection or more disease spread which was a bit of a surprise.


Post a Comment

<< Home