wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Pamidronate and blood transfusion

I managed to organise the blood transfusion to be administered at Sue Ryder this week rather than waiting for the Berks possibly next week. I stayed over night on Wednesday so that they could continue to administer the 4 units over the two days.

I came home yesterday but I'm not feeling the benefits yet. I still feel quite tired today and a little sick. Let's hope I pick up over the weekend.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Dawn said…

    Dawn- how are you?, hello to Steve, Matt, Ellie and Freddie too.

    Have caught up with your journey and appreciate that you have been through so much of late. The treatment and your resilience is endless but it must be tough at times? I took you with me to Leeds last week as people are still so inspired by you and all the families from the Mummy diaries - so hard to believe it is 18 months ago.When I arrived in Leeds it took me back to arriving at Leeds station waving to Amanda (with ever increasing bump) and then going out to see Pam and the family.Sad but VERY special times and a priveledge to work with all of you.
    Thanks for keeping up the blog, helps so many people to know the truth of this journey.
    With love and admiration for all of you.
    Julie

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn, Sorry to hear that things are all upside down again.
    You are and always will be a wonderful inspiration to me and all your help when I neede info about Germany.
    My tumour has shrunk another 10%, 83% gone now.
    I don't know how i would have got to my first Frankfurt trip with out you.
    I am so sorry not to have been in touch for a while. You know what its like with work and families!
    Are you going to do a follow up of the Mummy diaries as I am sure a lot of people would want to know how you are.
    Hope all the family are well and you are still driven to beat this thing.
    Take care
    Debbie Brewer x x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home