wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

CT Scan results - not such good news

Went for my Oncology appointment today and CT scan results. Unfortunately not good news. There has been disease progression in the liver and lung although the lung met is only marginally bigger than it was in comparison to the February CT scan. There appears to be 3 tumours in the liver measuring 39x32 mm, 19mm and 16mm. I was a little surprised by this news as I was obviously hoping that there was either no progression or the tumours had shrunk. I'm certainly disappointed but what can I do? I've got to keep a brave face for the kids.


My Oncologist has said that she would like to put chemo on hold for the next 4 weeks due to a low platelet count of 89. It has been this low in the past so not sure why stopping chemo due to that although it's obvious that the chemo isn't containing the spread of the disease (although it may be slowing it down). She has also said that in light of this new spread the PCT (Primary Care Trust) will probably not agree to me continuing with Avastin so I'll be having my last one tomorrow.


The Oncologist wants to see me in 4 weeks, but not at a chemo clinic so that we can have a good chat. In the meantime, I've emailed the Leonardis Klinik with a copy of my scan results and I await to find out what their recommendations may be.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:35 AM, Dawn said…

    Dear Dawn,

    I have been a silent reader of yours from Singapore and wud like to wish you all the very best in yr road to fighting this illness.

    Take good care and lots of prayers and hugs frm me.

    Sarah Sincity

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Dawn said…

    Dear Dawn,
    When I read you latest news it made me feel sick,you are so brave but whatever happens you must never give up hope and keep fighting, I hope the centr in Germany can come up with some suggestions.In the meantime I will pray for you and your family-all good wishes Love Yasmin

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn,

    I've just read your latest blog entry and am sad to hear that the CT scan results weren't more positive. However, you and I both know that this can be a real roller coaster of a ride, so hopefully there will be an up round the corner.

    We are thinking of you and if we can help in any way please let us know.

    Love Mani & Simon

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn

    Just read your latest blog, can I scream for you! You know your a fighter Dawn so try to keep that chin up mate even though its hard. Hopefully the Leonardis will help as they have always managed to do in the past. Will call you in a day or so and try to arrange another lunch. Thinking of you, big hug. Karenxx

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Dawn said…

    hi dawn, just to let you know I am still following your progress and wishing you well

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Dawn said…

    Dear Dawn

    I have been following your blog for a while now and am saddened to hear the latest news. However, from reading your posts I know you won't be giving up. I am thinking of you and your family.

    Best wishes

    Sarah Wiech

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn Just catching up with you - so sad to hear the latest news. Keep up the fight you know you can.
    Amanda x

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn

    Just logged on and read the latest news, sorry that it is not good news at the moment let me know if there is anything I can do, if oyu fancy meeting for lunch one friday to have a change of scenery, let me know it would be good to see you. email Sue@focusresourcing.co.uk or tel no on contact list



    thinking of you

    Sue xx

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn
    Thank you for the txt reply I only just read the wigs to wishes site as when I looked early last week you were going for the scan results. I am sorry it is not the news you were hoping for you are so brave I do hope Germany will come up with something to help fight this.
    If you need any help or want to meet up with Karen it would be lovely to see you. Hope you had a relaxing day at Nirvana its lovely there. I will give you a ring later in the week. Love and thoughts Hester x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home