wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Extreme Muscle pain in back

Since leaving the hospital a couple of weeks ago (and since the change of pain medication), I've been suffering with a really painful back (yet again). It is on the right hand side and appears to be muscle pain which I think is made worse when I drive, especially changing gears. I have tried to avoid driving for the last week or two because of the pain in my back but there are times when this is difficult and needs must.

The pain has reached unbearable heights in the last few days and I just don't know what to do. The pain medication I'm currently taking is helping with any bone pain but it is not touching the muscle pain in my back. I suppose the pain level is slightly better in the late afternoon but once I've slept I can barely move in bed. I worried Ellie and Freddie this morning because I asked Ellie to help me get up out of bed and I screamed out in pain and started crying. Freddie said he felt sick last night and this morning and it would be so easy to let him stay off school but fortunately Annie was picking him up for me. It's not fair on the kids to see me suffering like this as it really does upset them. I'm not sure what to do about it at the moment but I'm seeing the District Nurse this morning as usual for my dressing change on my armpit which seems to be healing very slowly but going in the right direction. I've also got to speak with Sue Ryder this morning about arranging transport for tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some attention to the pain.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Dawn said…

    Oh Dawn I really feel for you. It would have been lovely to see you last night but with you being in such horrific pain I know this was not possible. You are always in my thoughts and we will definitely get over to see you before we move.
    Love Karenxxx

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Dawn said…

    Dawnie, I am really feeling for you. If you need me to do anything let me know, sue xx

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Dawn said…

    Sorry to hear you are in so much pain I do hope they can sort something out for you. We missed you the other night and were thinking of you. Hope you made it to the Sue Ryder if you ever need a lift anywhere do just ask. Take care for now thinking of you will speak to you next few days. Love Hester x

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn
    So sorry to hear that you are in so much pain with your back. Do hope that you have been able to sort out some pain relief by now. Thinking of you as you keep up the fight against this cruel disease.
    Wishing you and the family lots of love, Jane,Andy, Matt, Alex and Dan xx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home