wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oncology appointment

Collecting my chemo today and having my pamidronate infusion. Have had to postpone the Avastin for another 4-5 weeks due to my next laser treatment to the liver on 19th August. Avastin can cause heavy internal bleeding so it would be very dangerous to have it and then an operation.

Barbara, the clinic nurse asked how I was feeling as she led me in for my appointment and I said really really tired. She said that explains it and I said what? She said that my Haemoglobin blood level (Hb) was low at 9.0 which means that there is not enough oxygen getting around my body.

Spoke with the Oncologist who wasn't overly worried about the Hb blood count but said that we should retest in 2 weeks in case I need a blood transfusion if the Hb drops anymore.

On the chemo ward the nurses said that I shouldn't leave it two weeks if I'm still feeling really tired. Okay ......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home