wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Still feeling quite ill and in a lot of pain

Following the op on Tuesday I think I've gradually felt worse. Dr Kopic has had a look at the liver on the ultrasound and he cannot now see the largest tumour which was lasered on Tuesday. This is great news and the tumour must be making it's way out of my body. There was however a considerable amount of odema (swelling due to fluid). This may be the cause for my discomfort. They've upped the pain relief and are also giving me antibiotics as a precaution against any infection in the wound area.

All I want to do is sleep. Poor Sarah, I haven't been much company for her. The weather has been nice and we haven't been able to get out.

I also seem to have lost more weight and I'm now 61kg (9st 6lb) as apposed to 62.4kg last month.

We met up with some patients that I met on my last trip and they are doing well so it was good to chat with them. They are both from the US.

Sarah and I flew from Munich to Heathrow late this evening. Flight was on time and everything went smoothly. We organised a wheel chair for me at Heathrow which was great because we got through passport control without waiting and I didn't have to walk which I was too tired to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home