wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Cancelled German Trip

I was supposed to be travelling to Frankfurt with Sarah this afternoon ready for the laser treatment to my liver tomorrow but this morning I woke up feeling really unwell with a high temperature and a raging sore throat. After deliberating what to do I emailed the Leonardis Klinik for some advice. They came back straightaway and said that I'm unfit to travel and need to postpone the trip for a week. I was disappointed mainly because of the cost implications and I suppose I had psyched myself up for the treatment.

Following this I rang BA and was told that I could get a 75% refund on the cost of the flights which wasn't so bad afterall.

Went to the Dr's this afternoon to have a blood test to check my blood count and have a look at my throat. The doctor thinks it is more than likely to be a viral infection in which case antibiotics won't help. I felt desparate for something though because my throat is so painful. Unfortunately only paracetamol and ibuprofen were suggested. Luckily I found a Difflam Oral Rinse in my medicine cupboard which helps relieve pain and inflammation in the throat.

This evening my temp has been going up and down like a yoyo and I still feel dreadful. Just as well I didn't take the chance and fly to Germany.


Post a Comment

<< Home