wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Laser Treatment on the liver

Arrived at Prof Vogl's clinic at 9.50 for a 10.30 appointment. Paid his secretary for the procedure which was 4,000 Euros (cheaper than I thought) and then had to wait in the waiting area for nearly two hours. Just before I was called in for the procedure, Prof Vogl's secretary called me back again as she has made a mistake and it was 6,000 Euros for the procedure and not 4,000. I did think it was cheap!!

Was taken down for the op at 12.30. Had a CT scan then the op was carried out under the CT scan. A local anaesthetic was injected just under my left breast and then a small incision was made for access to the liver. This was very painful, which I wasn't expecting and so maybe I wasn't given enough sedation. Prof Vogl went through this keyhole incision and accessed my liver this way. I drifted in and out of consciousness and finally was knocked out towards the end of the procedure.

When I eventually came round my mouth was like sandpaper and my shoulders really hurt. I thought it was because throughout the procedure I had to keep both arms above my head but apparently there are nerves in the liver which link to the shoulders.

I was then taken up to the Day Ward where Sarah could join me as she had been sat out in the waiting area for hours. I was so tired that I just kept drifting in and out of sleep. About 4 hours after the operation I was allowed to have some water and a dry biscuit but the minute I sat up and moved my head I started being sick. This happend about 5 times, even when I was taken down for the MRI scan at around 7.30.

Prof Vogl did his rounds and said that he would like me back to deal with the other two tumours. He said he was pleased with the operation but had to get a good clearance around the larger tumour which proved a little more tricky. He said it would not be so bad next time. I can't think about the next time. It all hurts too much and I feel really sick.

Andy arrived to take us to the Leonardis Klinik and once I was settled in the car in a reclining seat I didn't want to move until we had completed the 3 and a half hour journey. I was too scared of being sick again!


Post a Comment

<< Home