wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

First Navelbine Chemo

Started on the next chemo regime with Navelbine today. As usual though, the line in my arm was not playing ball. The nurses were not able to access the needle that was inserted last week and left for the chemo. Neither blood would come out or fluid go in so this one had to come out. Five attempts later we finally got a working one in but not before I was left with 5 needle puncture marks in my arm. What a nightmare this port is turning out to be!!

I started out with an anti-sickness drug first (Metoclopramide). Within seconds of this going in I started feeling really weird and had a funny reaction to it. I didn't know what to do with myself, I felt really anxious and couldn't keep still or concentrate on what anyone was saying. It was horrible, I just wanted to go home and thought, what on earth have I let myself in for, I don't want the chemo. The nurse was a bit concerned and said she would give me a break before giving the chemo. I just wanted it over and done with so I could get out of there. These funny side effects seemed to wear off after about 20 mins and I was able to proceed with the chemo and steroids.

Also had an x-ray on my pelvis and hip this morning.


Post a Comment

<< Home