wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Discussion with UK Onc

Usual clinic appointment today followed by Pamidronate. I showed Dr Barrett's Registrar the recommendations made by the Leonardis Klinik.

They have agreed that the recommendations seem sensible although have reservations about starting the Navelbine so soon if the tumours are not giving me a lot of pain. They didn't think there was a need to rush things even though there was evidence of spread from the PET scan. As an alternative, they discussed the possibility of postponing chemotherapy until after Christmas. If any tumours were giving me any pain then they could treat each individual area with radiotherapy. It was pointed out that there was no evidence to suggest that treating with chemo early helps slow the progression! Also, they don't want to run the risk of running out of chemo options. I declined the radiotherapy at this point.

I said that I did not wish to wait and wanted to start Navelbine as soon as possible (as per Dr Draczynski's recommendation) and therefore I shall have my first infusion on Wednesday 18/10. The UK Onc said that normally this chemo is given as two infusions, 25 mg on day 1 and 25 mg on day 8 and then a 7 day break. However, as recommended by the Leonardis, they have agreed to give me 40 mg every three weeks and will monitor my blood count accordingly.

An MRI scan has been requested and I shall be having an X-Ray next week.

It has also been suggested to me that I discontinue the Pamidronate infusion and change to Bondronat tablets due to the possibility of long term use of Pamidronate causing more problems in the bones - especially in the jaw. I said that I was not happy to do this as I had read on the internet that tablets are not as effective as infusions. They are happy to continue with the infusion whilst I am having chemotherapy but would like to consider a change in the future. I did question whether this was a monetary issue! I need to get some advice from the Leonardis Klinik as I have also been shown a medical article which says that Zometa is more superior than Pamidronate.

So much information is buzzing around my head!!!

Following the meeting I went up to West Ward for my Pamidronate. Unfortunately this wasn't as straight forward as usual. The needle that went in yesterday wasn't allowing any blood withdrawal or any flushes in unless I pushed it down which wasn't going to be any good as the Pamidronate takes an hour. So, that needle had to come out. They tried the next needle and I nearly went through the roof. It hurt! This needle bent. So they tried another needle which was successful and has been left in until next week when I have the chemo. I hope they can order enough of the right needles so that I don't have to go through that again!!!


Post a Comment

<< Home