wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Line Access

District Nurses came today to access the port for my infusion tomorrow. I put some numbing cream on the spot an hour before they arrived in order to limit the amount of pain the needle would cause when it was inserted. This seemed to work relatively okay and kept the pain to a minimum. There was a problem with the needle however, it was too long and protruded my arm by about half a centimetre. In order to draw any blood or flush the line, I had to press the needle down. It was thought that this would not be a problem tomorrow.

Went into work as usual but felt really tired. After I had collected Freddie from school this afternoon I had to go to bed, which ended up being for 3 hours!


Post a Comment

<< Home