wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Chemo Day - Cycle 2

After yesterday's farce in the Cancer Clinic I'm still a little upset but just want to get on with the treatment today. When I arrive, as usual the car park is absolutely jam packed and I have to park on the double yellow lines within the car park.

I check into the chemo suite and 9.30 and am asked to take a seat. There aren't many people waiting at this point but within an hour there is a steady trickle. I'm expecting to be taken in quite quickly because one of my treatments, Pamidronate, is in the fridge and readily available to infuse. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case and other people are going in in front of me how arrived after me. Then Helene, the receptionist asks who signed me in which I'm not sure of her name and she says that my notes aren't upstairs (which is probably why I haven't been called through). She says they must still be downstairs and would I mind going to get them. I'm absolutely flabbergasted and say well not really. She gets a little huffy so I say alright if I have to.

I limp downstairs because my hip and leg still hurt and meet one of the nurses downstairs from the chemo ward collecting my notes. She's puzzled to see me and I said that I was sent down to get them (they should have been sent up after clinic yesterday but there appears to have been a cock up). As usual, it's farce, Jackie asks if I'm okay and I start getting a bit upset and ask who is the patient? I shouldn't be asked to run around looking for my notes. She totally agrees and sends me back upstairs at which point I'm taken into the chemo suite to start my treatment.

I'm so tired of hospital appointments and cock-ups. It's never ending. I'm back again next week for a blood transfusion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home