wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Clinic Appointment/CT Scan results

I had an appointment at the Berks today for 10.45. Firstly to confirm that my bloods taken yesterday were okay for chemo tomorrow and also I thought the CT scan results.


3 hours I had to wait before being seen. Ridiculous. I don't normally say anything but felt that if I didn't everyone would be saying how bad it is to wait this long and I should have said something, so I did. Well, it didn't do me any favours, the Oncologist apologised in quite a moody fashion for keeping me waiting for 3 hours but she said she had 34 patients to see and she was the only Oncologist on duty. Then when I went to make my next appointment and the receptionist said 10.45, I obviously said okay but not that it meant anything and that I had to wait around for 3 hours today. She wasn't at all sympathetic and just said that is the way it is and I thought was quite rude to me. Suffice to say, I came away feeling quite upset but also because of the CT scan results .....


Firstly the Oncologist wasn't even going to say anything about the CT scan as there wasn't a copy on my notes, so if I hadn't mentioned them I could have gone way not knowing. Anyway she's given me a copy. Not good. There is another tumour in the liver and the possibility of a tumour in the lung. Too early to tell regarding the lung but the report says there is a 4mm subpleural nodule anteriorly in the right upper lobe of uncertain significance. This may account for the pain in my chest area but who knows.


I have to wait for 3 cycles of the chemo before another scan to see how things are working so it's possible that the chemo will deal with this new spread.


My bloods are okay for chemo but my haemoglobin is dropping again, 8.7 this time so they've scheduled another blood transfusion for Tuesday next week which means organising a blood match on Monday and then spending all day on Tuesday at the hospital. I'm so fed up of hospital appointments!


I'm obviously upset by this latest news, I've had a few tears but I'll bounce back and deal with it as I usually do, I just need a little time to digest it all.

Bloods:

Hb - 8.7
wc - 5.32
Platelets - 103
Neutrifils 3.01

5 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM, Dawn said…

    Sorry to hear your news but you know you always bounce back so keep your chin up - thinking of you. Will call you in a day or two.xx

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn

    wanted to drop you a note as I havent seen you in the palyground for a while, but I often wonder how you are doing. Sorry to hear things are so tough at the moment but if there is anything I mean anything I can do for you anytime please let me know, take care , will be thinking of you , you are a brave girl, Sue(chloes mum)

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn...Sorry to hear you have more bad news. You are so inspirational..I really hope you get some respite from all this very soon. chin up babes..... If you need a chat..call me please. You take care my friend
    Debbie x x x x

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Dawn said…

    Just to let you know that I love you, your the best sister in law I could have wished for, dispite everything you battle through! All my thoughts are with you for Mothers day xxx

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn, donr know if you remember me we last met in Aldi and previous at oyl Berks i am the lady whose both daughters had lymphoma. I am sorry to read your news i know from first hand experience what its like hanging around hospitals all the time. i do hope you are not too bad at the moment i often think of you and keep checking your website for updates/keep ypur chin up and take care-Yasmin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home