wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Pain relief review at Sue Ryder

Saw Dr Maeve again today at the Sue Ryder to discuss how the tablets have been working that she prescribed last week. Unfortunately they are making me so tired that all I want to do is constantly sleep. Nice in someways but not in others because I have a family to deal with and it is not nice for them when I'm constantly in bed.

I'm obviously very sensitive to the opiate type drugs, specifically Morphine and therefore need to rethink. Dr Maeve is aware that Dr Barrett is not keen for me to have steroids at this point as they can be damaging to the bones but she thinks that it may be more beneficial to the pain at this point and also as I'm currently taking a Calcichew supplement this should help guard against bone damage. I know from sterioid use in the past that they can make you gain weight and not sleep very well but I'll give anything a go.

Dr Maeve also suggested a blood transfusion as I've been so tired. Firstly she rang up Haemotology to get my latest blood report from 30 December which said that my HB was 8.9 which is a little low. She said that often the blood transfusion can help in many ways and that 8.9 isn't an unreasonably low count to give it. She took some blood for a cross match and to get an up to date Hb count.

I noticed on my notes at Sue Ryder that Dr Maeve wrote to my GP and Dr Barrett on 6 January regarding our meeting last week and suggesting a bone scan. I still haven't heard back from Dr Barrett's secretary if anything has been arranged yet regarding the bone scan, following the message I left on her answer machine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home