wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Sue Ryder visit

Today was my first visit to Sue Ryder at Nettlebed to meet with Dr Maeve McKeogh, the Palliative Consultant.


She was really nice and wants to help reduce the pain I'm in. She has prescribed more morpine tablets plus longer acting diclofenec to help get me through the night. Dr Maeve thinks that my pains are bone pains and feels we need to organise a bone scan to find the hot spots in order to give targeted radiotherapy. She said she would write a letter to Dr Barrett suggesting this.


I then met up with the Occupational Therapist and the Physio to see how they could help. Deirdre the OT is going to visit me at home on Thursday to look at the house set up to see what equipment might help me around the house. They both suggested a walking aid and when they mentioned a zimmer frame they said my face was a picture. I just can't see myself using one but they have now given me a more suitable frame on wheels. I don't think I'll take it out of the house but it will be handy in doors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home