wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Charity Disco Night

Another successful, enjoyable night was had by all at the Charity Disco held at the Post Office Club in Richfield Avenue.



We had lots of fantastic raffle prizes donated by so many generous people including:


£200 M&S Hamper - Donated by BBC Monitoring TS&D dept
£100 - M&S Vouchers donated byGeorge Smith, GKS Motors, Binfield Heath
2 x £25 John Lewis Vouchers - Donated by Wendy Hines following a car boot sale in the summer
£25 Peking Palace meal voucher - Donated by Peking Palace
£25 HMV Voucher - donated by Conisboro Garden Services, Caversham
12 Bottles of Wine - Donated by Phillipa Taylor
1 months Gym Subscription - Helen Field
4 Showcase Cinema Tickets - Donated by Phillipa Taylor
Picnic Basket - Donated by Wendy Hines
Bottle of Port - Donated by Waitrose, Caversham
Bottle of Barcardi - Donated by Angie Larkcom
Bottle of Vodka - Donated by Catering Dept at BBC Monitoring
George Foreman Grill - Donated by Budgens Emmer Green
Box of 5 bottles of Sparkling Wine - Dawn Hughes
Crystal Wine Glasses - Donated by Clare
Wine Glasses - Donated by Clare
Wedgewood Candle Holder - Donated by Clare
Garden Hose - Donated by Patricia Blackford
Two bottles of wine and hair straightners - Donated by Caroline Downs


Well done Tanya for organising the Disco Bus Stop, this raised £150 excluding the 1st prize of £75, 2nd prize of £50 and 3rd prize of £25. By sheer fluke Tanya's number was drawn 1st and I would just like to thank her for donating her 1st prize money to the Wigs to Wishes fund.


I would also like to thank Academy Windows for their donation of £50 to the Wigs to Wishes fund and also two separate donations of £100. Thanks guys (you know who you are).


In total we raised £2,534. Absolutely brilliant.


I would like to thank everyone who attended and made it such an enjoyable evening, it was really great to catch up with old friends who I've not seen in such a long time and it's really funny to find that people were also meeting up with long lost friends who didn't know each of them knew me. Small world!!


I'd really like to thank the Post Office Club for the club hire and for being so helpful on the night, Jim and Richard for the disco and last and certainly by no means least Wendy Hines for her tireless fund raising efforts. Without Wendy, a lot of these fund raising events just wouldn't happen and without the generosity of so many people I just wouldn't be receiving this advanced treatment that really is making a huge difference.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:01 PM, Dawn said…

    Glad you had a great evening Dawn. Sorry Martin and I couldn't make it - I'll get to one of these eventually. Lovely to see you the other week and to see you looking so well - not too jealous of your new size 10 look!!! Love Karenxxxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home