wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, October 20, 2008

CT Scan results - Good news

Good news today. Saw Dr Hahnewald and she was pleased to report that there was nothing to be seen on the scan results. The lungs are clear and the chest also. The radiologist who studies the scans mentioned that there is scar tissue on the liver (obviously from the liver ablation in August) and it is possible that one particular area is irritating my diaphragm and therefore making my chest area sore. On the other hand, it could be a chest infection of a virul infection. I am feeling a little better although had a bad nights sleep last night. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason between good days and bad.

She was really happy with the result and said that the news couldn't be any better. Even though we know that the cancer is still in the spine and left hip this is not going to kill me. We need to control the cancer and keep it out of the soft tissue areas (lungs, liver etc).

I'm still suffering with a painful back, particularly in the lower back. Dr Hahnewald said that I could have more radiotherapy to this area but we've decided to wait for a week or two to see how my recovery goes and whether the back pain improves.

As the my chemo was postponed two weeks ago Dr Hahnewald has decided that we can restart it next week at my next clinic appointment.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:10 PM, Dawn said…

    I'm so so so glad to hear the good news. You are such an amazing fighter and a role model to others! I knew keeping my fingers crossed for you would pay off... and it did. Warm hugs from Poland!
    Chris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home