wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Urgent CT scan needed!

Cancer clinic was running really behind today, my 9.30 appointment turned in to 11am. I had a good chat with the Registrar. She's now seen the x-ray results and says that there is something showing on my right lung/chest area. It is possibly a lung infection which can be treated by the antibiotics I'm already taking and anti-inflammatories such as diclofenec or Tramadol and paracetamol.

Dr Hahnewald has also decided that as they can't see exactly what it is on my chest area that I need an urgent CT scan so she gave me a card to take to the main x-ray dept to get an appointment. As they can't see what is on the chest area, Dr Hahnewald cannot rule out blood clots on the lungs and therefore has also prescribed a course of injections (Tinzaparin) just as a precaution. The injections have to be made into my stomach area.

She's also decided to postpone my chemo (xeloda) until the CT scan results are available.

Well, this is where the farce begins, firstly I had to go up to the chemo ward to handover my notes so that I was booked in and they could order my Avastin (this usually takes an hour to come up from the pharmacy). Whilst chatting to the chemo nurses they could see that I was in a lot of pain walking (bad back and chest) and looking through my notes they thought it should be an urgent scan that day (in view of the possible blood clots) and they thought I shouldn't be walking all the way over to the x-ray dept so they got a porter to take me in a wheel chair.

When I got to the x-ray dept they said it wasn't an urgent scan but an urgent appointment so I had to go up a floor. The guy making the appointments looked on the system and said he could give me 22nd October, I was a little confused and I said that it was an urgent appointment. He said yes, all urgent appointments have to be seen within 2 weeks and this appointment was exactly 2 weeks. Unbelievable! I went on to say that my Oncologist had already booked an appointment for me to see her next week to discuss the results. He had another look on his screen and said he could offer me a cancellation for Thurs 16th Oct at 6pm (slightly inconvenient due to childcare issues but beggars can't be choosers).

Then I had to go back to the cancer centre to change my appointment and get another prescription for the injections which I'd only had a weeks worth. Unfortunately the Oncologist had left by this point (well it was 12.30) so the clinic nurse said she would call me the following day.

What a nightmare, it was just as well that I'd organised childcare for Freddie after school. I was exhausted and by the time I got called in for my infusions I was ready to have a snooze.

This was one of the longest days I'd spent at the Berks for chemo infusions etc for quite a while.

I also got weighed earlier and I'm now down to 57kg (8st 13lb).


Post a Comment

<< Home