wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I have a reprieve for 6 months!

More infusions today which were finished by 2pm which is really quick for me. The line that was put in by my District Nurse on Monday worked a treat so I'll have to ensure that I try and do that each time.

All paperwork was completed today and Dr Kopic gave me my therapy recommendations for the following 6 months. Yep, I don't have to go back now until January when I'll be having my 5th Dendritic Cell Vaccine. Hopefully everything will be okay in between. After discussions with Prof Vogl, Dr Kopic has advised me to have an MRI scan in the UK in 3 months so I'll be requesting one in October. Anyway, the Berks should be doing some sort of restaging with scans and tests of their own.

The therapy recommendations include two new drugs, Arcoxia and Actos. Christine seems to think that I should be able to get these in the UK but will have to wait and see.


Post a Comment

<< Home