wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Reply from Dr Draczynski, Leonardis Klinik

I emailed the results of my bone scan to the Leonardis Klinik on Friday evening and got a quick response this morning.

Basically Dr Draczynski said that when comparing the recent bone scan to one in 2005 (almost 3 years), it does not come as a surprise that there is a general increase in uptake. Something that should be done is to rule out any jeopardy for fracture. This is a particular concern for the thoracic and lumbar spine probably to some lesser extent also for the bony pelvis. This is an issue that I can address on the 18th June at my next Oncology appointment. Dr D then went on to say that given the fact that my liver obviously looks much better and we are looking into doing 2 laser treatments, the bony issue now has to be addressed.

Also the combination of Xeloda (chemo I'm due to start on 18th June) and Avastin is excellent for bony disease. He suggests that we wait and see what the effect of Xeloda and Avastin will be and restage by a regular bone scan in about 3-4 months and do the tumour markers on a 4-6 weekly basis.

The only thing urgent right now is to see whether any of these structures are prone to fracture. Otherwise I need to continue with the treatments.

This news has made me feel a lot better, but isn't it funny how the Berks remain silent on the results with no suggestions forthcoming and that I have to wait 3 weeks to discuss it with them. Communication is crap in this country!


  • At 8:29 PM, Dawn said…

    Greeting from Florida!

    I am watching your posts very closely and pray for your 'continued' positive response to chemo and your succesful collaboration with the Leonardis Klinik.

    My son is terminal (colo/rectal cancer)and a fundraiser is in the early stages of planning to send him to Germany for treatment.

    Time is of the essense, obviously, and I am gathering all possible information available.

    Good luck - our thoughts are with you, Fiona (proud mom)

  • At 9:00 AM, Dawn said…

    Hi Fiona from Florida

    Sorry, but I have only just seen this post. I hope your fund raising is gathering speed and that you are able to send your son to the Leonardis Klinik. I am 100% sure it is the right thing to do.

    Best of luck

    Dawn xx


Post a Comment

<< Home