wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Onc appointment

Dr Barrett is still not back to work, so saw yet another Registrar, Dr Dallas. I had met her approximately 2 years ago and she is very nice and easy to talk to. She looked through my notes and said that they have agreed to start me on the Xeloda chemo but first it would be a good idea to have the results from the Bone scan which is tomorrow and also she suggested a hip x-ray.

I asked about the MUC-1 test but she did not have any details about this and preferred to wait and speak with the Registrar I saw on my previous visit to see if she had done anything about it. She wasn't sure if it was a test that could be done in Reading or whether they would have to send the tissue sample to Germany!

All in all I suppose there was progress today although I have to say that I asked for the Xeloda chemo 3 months ago (27/2/08) and I've still got to wait another 3 weeks.

Had the Avastin only today but I still spent over 4 hours at the hospital for a 15 minute consultation and a 30 minute infusion.


Post a Comment

<< Home