wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

"The Mummy Diaries"

Following 18 months of filming, the "Mummy Diaries" are finally here.

Just watched the first programme of the Mummy Diaries. This is my second viewing as I had seen it three weeks ago before starting the publicity campaign. It is very sad but also lovely to watch. I know exactly what the families are going through and I think it is wonderful that we have let Ricochet film us so that we can show the world what it is like living with cancer. I don't want to sweep it under the carpet.

Had a couple of phone calls this evening after the show went out, one in particular from a friend who lost his wife 7 months ago to breast cancer. I was so pleased that he was able to watch it, take heart from what the message is trying to convey and then ring me to chat.

Freddie watched it for the first time tonight and was a little upset. He got his feelings bear out. I asked him to show me by pointing at the bear which feelings he had at this time and he pointed to sadness and worry. He said he is worried that I might die. This is the first time that he has spoken of his feelings openly like this. I just kissed and cuddled him and reassured him of how much I loved him.

Julie Stokes did warn us that watching this particular episode might be hard for Freddie which is why he didn't watch it a couple of weeks ago.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Dawn said…

    Dawn, What a very courageous woman and family you all are. Your website is a fantastic idea, full of very useful facts, truths and reality, yet extremely tear jerking. I have been watching the Mummy Diaries from the beginning and have cried from start to finish. Where do you all get the inner strength from, i guess it must be from your loving, supporting family and friends, they certainly are wonderful. I wish you and your family and other's out there that are going through what you are Dawn all my love.xxxx From Claire. S. in West Yorkshire

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Dawn said…

    Dawn, What a Great idea setting up this website.
    Mummy diaries has really made me feel for everyone out there, has upset me in some ways, but in others i am very glad to see how strong families can be in these situations.
    How do you all stay so strong?! I could never do it. x
    You must all be really marvellous people.
    Good Luck With everything x
    Lots Of Love, Moya Aged 12 In Formby, Liverpool
    x x x Keep it up, you can do it x x x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home