wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Newspaper article about Jane Tomlinson

I saw an interesting newspaper article about Jane Tomlinson today. It said that Jane's dying wish was for her husband to campaign to end the unjust system in which patients are denied access to life-saving treatments because of NHS red tape. Her husband Mike said that when Jane realised that she was dying, she begged him to sort out the failings in the health system that deny patients access to the best drugs. The article also went onto say that for the last three months of Jane's life, she was denied a new drug called Lapatinib (Tykerb) that could have extended her life.

Not surprisingly she is one of many women in this country who would like to have this drug, myself being one of them and the NHS simply won't stump up the money. In actual fact NICE haven't even passed it for use in this country yet, even though it is widely used in the US and Europe.

The article also went onto say how incensed Jane was about this issue and that she wanted to expose the inconsistencies and discrepanies that allow people to be denied drugs that could benefit them. At present access to drugs is heavily restricted until they are licensed in the UK (by NICE) and sometimes the restriction is due to hospital trusts refusing to pay for them.

Drugs should be made available to patients once they have been licensed in another approved country and the Government should make a list of approved countries.

I totally agree with this, surely it is a fundamental human right for people to get the best treatment available. The NHS is letting us down!!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM, Dawn said…

    It isn't nice to disagree with someone who has cancer but I do. It just isn't a fundamental human right for every individual to have the treatment that they need, the NHS serves millions, and has to do what is best for most of those people. Sometimes that means not paying for an expensive drug because of the limited numbers it would help, this may or may not be true in your case, but we just don't pay enough for our health service for it to be able to provide everything for everyone.

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Dawn said…

    It disgusts me to read this comment - typically anonymous. What an absolutely unforgivable thing to say. I wonder if you will have the same view if you ever get diagnosed with cancer? People like you make me sick. You're just a sad low life that should keep your misguided opinions to yourself. Stay away from websites like this because you are not worthy to be associated in any way with decent human beings that come on here to support people with cancer.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Dawn said…

    For some reason, the above two comments appear to be written by me which isn't the case. I am with Alison Nolan the whole way. I can't believe that someone would leave a comment so offensive on my website. Okay, that is their opinion and they are entitled to it but it is they should not voice their opinions here. I could be really upset at what "Anonymous" has said, well I suppose I was to begin with but after reading Alison's note, my anger has subsided. Alison is right, if this person had cancer or any immediate member of their family had cancer they would be fighting in exactly the same way that many cancer suffers are.

    Thanks Alison for your support.

    Best wishes.

    Dawn Hughes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home