wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

UK Oncologist says "it is highly likely to be a spread to the liver"!

Following my visit to Germany last week I had an Oncology clinic appointment in Reading today.

I explained to my UK Onc how things went last week in Germany and the test results regarding the liver ultrasound. She said that the chances are it is something on the liver given the type of cancer I have. She feels that presently we need to keep an eye on it and agrees that I should have another liver ultrasound in 4-6 weeks at which time we can compare the size of the suspected liver metastases with the scan carried out in Germany last week. She has also agreed to carry out tumour marker tests following the raised levels for my CA15-3.

I also mentioned that the German Onc suggested it would be good if I could get Avastin. Unfortunately this is not funded by the NHS although it is being used in the private sector. My Onc said that there is not enough evidence in this country to suggest that Avastin is effective although she is aware that there are some Private Medical Insurance companies who are funding it for their patients. She did however agree to write to the PCT (Primary Care Trust) to ask if they would allow me to have funding for it. At least that is a positive step forward. Failing that route, I may contact my local MP, Rob Wilson to see if he can suggest any action.

I also mentioned that my Oestrogen levels were raised and it had been suggested by the German Onc that I change from Arimidex to Faslodex. Again she said that this is not funded by the NHS and she would write to the PCT.

It's all a waiting game. I did come away feeling really down today. Disappointed that my Onc feels that it may have spread to the liver and the fact that I can't get Avastin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home