wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Blood Transfusion at Sue Ryder and admittance

I've been feeling very tired and out of breath recently so Sue Ryder thought it would be a good idea to check my blood count and give me a blood transfusion at Day Care on 29th July plus be admitted for a few days respite.


Unbelievably, the blood count for my Haemoglobin was not particularly low at 9.3. I was quite disappointed, I know this sounds funny but I was kind of banking on this being low which would account for why I was feeling so ill. Anyway during my 3 day stay at Sue Ryder I had lots of discussions with the in-house doctors about all my problems. They decided that they could not rule out a blood clot on the lungs because my breathing is so laboured. I was sent for a CT scan at the Berks and got the results this afternoon. Fantastic turnaround for results.

The results ruled out a blood clot in the lungs. There was no sign of changes to the upper part of my liver and the small nodule in my left lung is still measuring 4mm which is good news as I haven't been on any chemo for quite some time. The very bad news is the changes to my bones A number of the vertebra (back bones) have become wedged due to the spread of cancer in the spine which has caused my spine to collapse and therefore bend forward. This is irreversible and I'm absolutely gutted. It's happened so quickly. Because I'm leaning forward, I'm squashing my lungs more which may account for the lack of breath.

There are also healing fractures in my right scapula (right shoulder blade) and in my sternum (front of my chest). This would account for the pains I've been getting in my shoulder blade/back and my chest area. I've got to persevere with the pain medication in the hope that this pain will improve eventually.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn, Just having a read to see how you are. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I hate cancer.
    Be careful where swine flu is concerned. I have it at the moment and it isn't pleasant.
    I think of you so much as you helped me a lot. I wish I had a magic wand to change things for you as you probably do.
    Keep in touch babes. Thoughts are with you and you are an inspiration to me, take care of yourself.
    Debbie x x x

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Dawn said…

    Dearest Dawn, last checked in on May 22nd ...and it seems that the pain has been dreadful? Really hope that by now it is under control. I think of you often - infact we are on holiday (very rainy holiday in Scotland but the kids are learning to wakeboard in the rain so reasonably happy- as much as three children are at one time in the teenage years !)..on the Scotish news last night there was a young mother who had advanced cancer and she talked warmly and confidently though her journey.What was wonderful was the macmillan nurses' approach in supporting the family and children.as others have said you are an inspiration.your blog has helped so many people to appreciate the reality for you and what that in turn that means for Steve Ellie , matt and freddie. Was in Ireland a few weeks back and saw a sign "people destined to meet will do so,apparently by chance, at precisely the right moment" I thought of you,Pam, Vanessa, Carol and Wendy- 5 amazing mothers who shared their story of hope and resilience.Lets try and catch up when you are feeling strong enough?

    Take care
    julie

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Dawn said…

    Hi Dawn

    Just read your latest blog entry - can't believe it you must be in so much pain. Lovely to see you in Tesco the other week but wished you had let me get the prescription etc that you wanted - thought about you all day that day and everything you are going through - just felt very helpless. Certainly put my move problems into perspective.

    You are the bravest person I know so you just keep that chin up and keep on smiling as you have done all along. Hope you managed to get to Spain and still enjoy your break because you definitely deserve it - its amazing how much better you feel with the sun on your back.

    Well will try and see you before we leave. You take care, lots of love Karenxxxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home