wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

CT Scan results

Rang yesterday to see about my CT scan results and it was suggested that I come in today for an appointment. I thought this was a bit ominous but was relieved to find out that there was nothing new found on the scan. The Oncologist however was not happy that the scan was not conducted correctly in that they couldn't get the second contrast dye injected. She said that although the tumours could be seen on the liver, they couldn't see the smaller one and felt that the scan was not indepth enough to give a correct result. There was a suggestion that we try again but she has decided to go ahead with the Avastin and Faslodex but not the chemo as she feels that my bone marrow has had a lot of hits from chemo and would prefer to give it a rest a bit longer!!

I'm relieved that there appears to be no further spread in the liver, and I suppose relieved that she is holding back with the chemo a bit longer and trying out the Avastin first. Hopefully this will have some effect and slow/stop the spread. It looks like this new treatment will start week beginning 25 Feb. I suggested I would like a bit of quality time with the children during the half term week and as we don't know what side effects I may have the Onc was happy to start treatment after 25th.


Post a Comment

<< Home