wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Whole Body Hyperthermia

Had the whole body hyperthermia this morning. It was quite gruelling. I had to get into a very very hot bath for 15 mins to help raise my body temperature. Then I got into a tent with only my head outside of it and a fan to try and help me cope with the immense body temperature. Infrared lamps heated the tent and I was monitored by various methods, heart, blood pressure, oxygen in blood and of course temperature which was assessed using a rectal thermometer!!

After about 15 mins I was finding it unbearable and the doctor said that we had to wait until my body temperature reached at least 38.8 degrees. Luckily this happened soon after and then I was wrapped up to keep the temperature from dropping too quickly. The temperature went up further to 39.1 degrees before it started coming down. My heart rate must have been pumping the blood and chemo round my body at a very fast rate because my heart was beating like the clappers throughout the treatment. Following this I went and had a sleep for an hour, I was exhausted.

Come the evening I seemed to have recovered quite reasonably and even the Oncologist thought I looked good considering what I had been through earlier in the day!


Post a Comment

<< Home