wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Clinic Appointment to discuss Tykerb and Avastin

Had my usual 3 weekly clinic appointment at the Royal Berks today. Didn't see my usual Oncologist as she was unwell and didn't want to pass on any germs to her patients. Therefore I saw her Registrar, Dr Yeoh.



I gave him a copy of the treatment plan as supplied by Dr Jacob at the Leonardis Klinik. Dr Yeoh was happy with the recommendations but when I discussed the subject of being prescribed Tykerb or Avastin he said that this was not possible. He said that Avastin had only been passed for private prescription use and therefore the Government guidelines forbid use of Avastin within the NHS. He then went onto say that I would not be eligible to go on a Tykerb trial due to the fact that I am receiving different treatments elsewhere and I would not give a good indicator of whether the drug was working or a combination of the trial drug and other drugs I'm taking are having any effect. Basically he said, their hands are tied.



He went onto explain a little bit about how cancer cells work in that they can take many different routes/roads and one drug may stop one route of spread but the cancer may then find another route in which to spread. I am fairly aware of this but at the end of the day if you can stop it at every turn then maybe the prognosis is better because you will survive longer if you make it harder for the cancer to spread! Surely this should be the number one priority as there isn't a cure as yet!!



I then went on to say that I did not want to change from a biphosphonate infusion to a tablet due to the problems involved and he said at this stage they would continue with the pamidronate infusion and monitor it every 3 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home