wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Monday, June 12, 2006

6th Leonardis Klinik visit

Well, I've had the bone scan this afternoon and I am disappointed with the results. Although there has not been any more spread, the picture remains the same as before. Dr Jacob (the German Onc) is also disappointed and has said that it is looking a little tougher than we first thought. She is however, still confident that we can over come this. She is in complete agreement with the RBH that I should stop the chemo due to the increasing number of side effects (she said that there were increasingly more side effects from the Capecitabine chemo than good effects) and she has also said that I must stop the Herceptin!! Bit shocking but she feels that it is not doing anything at this moment in time and I should have a break from it. She thinks that as with lots of drugs, the body can become immune but by having a break from it at this stage, it may be that I will be able to start it again at a later date.

I shall have to return to the Leonardis in September for a PET scan and possibly another Bone Scan. If there is disease progression then I will have to start another course of chemo (different to the one I've just finished - Gemcitabine or Navelbine). I will also be having another Bone Marrow Puncture. Dr Jacob feels that my body needs to recover from the effects of the chemo before continuing with any more treatment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home