wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Chemo 6

Went to the cancer clinic today for a check up and then chemo and pamidronate. Didn't see my usual Oncologist but saw one of her colleagues. I asked if he had the results of the chest x-ray as I was still having problems with my breathing. He went to have a look on the computer and came back 5 mins later to say that the x-ray was clear and that it had been checked against the previous x-ray in 2005 and there appeared to be no difference, which was a relief. I also mentioned that I have been experiencing a pain in my left breast but cannot feel any lumps and cannot find the site of the pain. He checked also and found nothing and said that we should just keep an eye on it!

I wanted to discuss the Bondronate issues and mentioned that my GP would need to be informed of this change and that they would require some information before they could make a decision on whether they could prescribe it or not. He said that whilst I was on chemo they would continue with the pamidronate infusion. I also went on to discuss taking the Bondronate and how difficult I thought it was going to be if I had to take it an hour before any food but at least 6 hours after my last meal which would mean that I could only take it first thing in the morning. He didn't think that I would need to be quite so stringent with taking them. I suppose I'll just have to deal with that at the time.

Went up to the chemo ward and then had to wait over 2 hours before I got my treatment. I felt really tired and drained afterwards and went home to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home