wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Bone scan results look good

Had a bone scan today, the Consultant says that there is less tumour in the pelvis than when he scanned me in October and that there is an overall reduction in the spine.

Saw Dr Jacob this afternoon and she said that this is a good result and would like me to come out again on 8th March for some more Samarium treatment to try and destroy more of the tumours. She also said that they are awaiting test results from the chemosensitivity test. I discussed with her the subject of being on chemotherapy and having the Samarium. The RBH are not keen to continue with chemotherapy when I have Samarium because this can cause a dramatic reduction in my white blood cells and therefore leave me open to infection. Dr Jacob agreed that this is a problem but has suggested that I carry on with the Xeloda until the results of the chemosensitivity test are known and the situation will be reviewed then.

She asked if I had any problems and I mentioned the hand and foot syndrome, she suggested increasing the dosage of Ginkgo Biloba from 120mg per day to 240mg per day. I also mentioned the aching joints and muscles, again she suggested Magnesium Oratate. Another problem I have been experiencing is lymphodaema in my right arm. She said that I would need a lymph massage by a professional lymphodaema nurse. I’ll have to arrange this on Friday when I go for my next clinic appointment at the RBH. As usual I was given 2 sheets of information from Dr Jacob which highlights the treatment that I have received at the Leonardis Klinik during this visit and all their proposals for future treatment including a treatment plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home