wigs to wishes.org.uk

The “Dawn Hughes Wigs to Wishes Fund” has been set up to enable me to receive further treatment at an Oncology Clinic in Germany where they have had a high success rate in stopping the spread of Cancer in patients and giving them the best possible chance of remission. The Berkshire Cancer Centre have informed me that there is little chance of my Cancer going into remission with the treatment available in this country.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my website. I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a wife and mother of 3 young children, Matthew 13, Ellie 10 and Freddie 6. I was first diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 at the age of 36. Following Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, I was in remission until a chance MRI scan in Feb 2005 for an unrelated problem, detected that the Cancer had returned. I was then diagnosed with Secondary Breast Cancer. The likely prognosis given in February was 18 months to 5 years. I then had to undergo aggressive Chemotherapy, but following the results of a recent bone scan, it was found that the Cancer is still spreading. The treatment in Germany will cost thousands of pounds and for most people like myself, the opportunity for this is a dream. Many of my Family and Friends want to make this dream a reality and are making tremendous fund raising efforts, because without them, I would not be able to seek the treatment that I so obviously need and which is not being offered in this country.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Unlikely to use my Herceptin

The UK Onc says that they are not sure if they can use the Herceptin that I have brought back from Germany due to Regional Protocol. There are strict guidelines about use of drugs – the pedigree of which they need to agree. Also the Herceptin is not made up at the RBH and would have to be sent away.

I will be receiving the Herceptin indefinitely unless the cancer spreads further – ie, Herceptin is not working.

The Herceptin will be administered weekly but could change to 4 weekly depending on how busy the Chemotherapy unit is.

White blood count has dropped slightly from last week therefore still postponing Xeloda. When it is prescribed, it will be given as a 2 week on and 1 week off dose, not as Dr Jacob suggested, ie 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

WBC 3.26
Neutrafils 1.67


Post a Comment

<< Home